Arabic, Arts and Crafts, bookbindings, borders, copper engravings, Cranbrook Educational Community, Cranbrook Press, Edmund Booth, Edward Miller, George Gough Booth, illuminated, initials, Jean Eschmann, ornamental borders, publisher, tail pieces, William Caxton, William Morris, woodcuts
The Dicts and Sayings of the Philosophers
Abu al Wafa Mubashshir ibn Fatik (11th century)
Detroit, MI: The Cranbrook Press, 1901
B745 D5 M8 1901
George Gough Booth, publisher of the Evening News (which became The Detroit News) became so enamored of the Arts and Crafts movement that he based the Cranbrook Educational Community he founded on William Morris’ philosophy. Booth established, with the help of Edward Miller, the Cranbrook Press, which published illuminated books. Jean Eschmann created fine bookbindings for the publications. This is Lord Rivers’ translation of Tignonville’s French version of the Dict philosoporum, a collection of sayings originally compiled in Arabic. It was first printed in English by William Caxton. Printed by Edmund Booth. Woodcut initials, borders, head and tail pieces from designs by George G. Booth, including two original copper engravings, from drawings by De Voss W. Driscoll. Some pages surrounded by ornamental borders. University of Utah copy is no. 109.
You must be logged in to post a comment.